Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Naming Your Blog

When you create a blog you have to choose a title, a Web address, and you have the option to add a tag line or short description. You can see for this blog the actual name is "AALPD Discussion Group on Blogger," maybe a bit long, but I wanted it to be clear so that stray web surfers understand what it is. I also added a short description. The Web address I chose is aalpdgroup. I wanted it to be short, easy to type, easy to remember.

Usually, once you visit a site that you will be returning to, you bookmark it so that you never have to type the link again, but you'd be surprised how often you might still have to type it. What if you are on someone else's computer, or you upgrade your system and lose your bookmarks, or you're showing your class from your classroom computer and you don't have it bookmarked there. It happens, so you want the URL to be easy.

I named my personal blog "marianthacher." I regret that! It seems silly now to have my blog named after me. It would have been better to name it something about adult literacy, or technology, or my organization OTAN, or something that indicates what it's about. But...I didn't. And now I have so much content there I don't want to start over, so I live with it.

So, think about your URL. Make it easy to remember and interesting in some way, and related to what you will be writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment